Ad

Monday, August 25, 2014

Intune: Mental and Physical Balance through CrossFit

I don't know why CrossFit has been so much more than just exercise for me. In my life, I have probably tried every sport on the planet, from swimming or running, over a common gym membership and aerobics classes, to lacrosse, soccer, and horseback riding. Yet, only CrossFit really helped me connect and consequently balance the physical with the mental

For example, when I used to run, I mainly did it to keep weight off or lose more. I don't think I ever really enjoyed running. Although, I kept telling myself that I did, and after the first couple of miles I didn't mind it and always felt good afterwards. Running was yet more a means to an end. 
Swimming, on the contrary, I really enjoyed, but I never really got as serious about it as that I would have given it more thought. Plus, I never really felt that comfortable in my bathing suit. A stupid struggle that developed out of the society-induced thinking that I needed to look a certain way. Nonetheless, I went regularly, and during the summer time, I would get a tan along with the swim. 
Horseback riding has always been therapeutic to me, but yet again, it's been more a sport for pure enjoyment. Plus, I never owned a horse and moved around quite a bit over the last 10 years so that I never established a connection with that one horse.
Going to the gym started to get boring but again I stuck with it again mainly to not gain weight and tone my muscles a bit. It was usually unstructured, or just the same routines, day in and day out - no pushing myself and pretty boring at times. Adding some of the classes was fun but I never really got into it. I guess, I'm not really a group sport or team sports person. At least in environments in which I felt like I didn't fit in. 

Those experiences boil down to having felt uncomfortable and not as fit as others, not as good as them. Maybe, I could have but I just never felt I would. And I constantly compared myself. 
When I started bikram yoga, I slowly began to realize that comparing is not helpful, but with all the mirrors in the room and all the positions that did not bring out the prettiest sides of me, it was hard for me to focus. I enjoyed it but again I mainly did it for the benefits it apparently provided. 

Why it was so different with CrossFit?! I have no clear explanation, but I know that even though I felt uncomfortable in the group settings at first, I started to see results quickly and was encouraged by the people around me. 

The community in CrossFit definitely plays a big role. Being supported by those around me and being a part of a community made a big difference. 

Fact is that I have never felt mentally and physically challenged the way I have with CrossFit, and it's a good challenge, one that makes me not only a fitter but also a better person. I learned to pay attention to the signals my body send. In the past, I ignored many of them. I thought nothing would ever happen to me and if I felt an ache I would take a pill and rest, but now it's different. 
I try to find causes so that I can prevent aches in the future. I eat healthy to allow my body to heal itself, and so that I do not need to rely on pills. I take care of myself and change things up, or rest, so that I don't cause more harm but allow myself to get better. 

In 10 days I will do a nutrition challenge that my gym organizes. I'm excited because we work in teams and besides getting in shape, we can win something. Incentives and accountability are in check, and it's going to be one of those community-driven things that I love about CrossFit! 

I am a happier and more balanced persons because of Crossfit. Even though I am currently not actively wodding in classes at MBS, I am still part of the community. And MBS has the best community :)

Mental and physical balance are rooted in a support system and I am happy I found mine in CrossFit, at MBS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment