Ad

Friday, August 29, 2014

10 Days post-op Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy/Discectomy

Today I had my 10-day post-op follow-up doctor's visit. 
He pulled the sutures and the staple and said it looked really good. 
I don't need the hard brace any longer, but have a soft one, for another week or so. 
I can start driving, but haven't given i a try just yet. I think I will start slow/short distances. 
Though, Tuesday I need to drive down to South Denver, so that will be the first "test"- leaving early to make sure :)

I will be able to start PT in a week, so I will call Monday to maybe get my first appointment set for Friday. From there, I will slowly ease back into more strenuous activities. 
I have been walking 5-10km/day so far and will up it to 20-30km/day this coming week.
I am trying to walk sub 10min/km. I've been around 10:30-11min/km which is fine, but I feel good. Adding in some air squats and lunges as well. 

Also, today I did not have any notable pain in my arm or shoulder and the doctor reassured me that my nerves had plenty of room now, and were just irritated from the procedure. So, once the swelling goes down, I should be as good as new, and obviously, the muscles in my neck need to heal up.

At least I can say I am off pain meds, that is narcotics and muscles relaxants, and only need ibuprofen or bromelain every now and then.
So, all in all, everything went well and I am doing good. 

I am SO ready to go back to lifting. 
I know the first couple of months will be tough... and I will have a battle scar, but in a few years I am sure even this will be gone.

Here, is a picture of what my scar looks like Day 1 post-op versus day 10 post-op. 

1 day post-op
10 days post-op

No comments:

Post a Comment